Burning sage — also known as smudging — is an ancient spiritual ritual.
1. It may be purifying
2. It may help relieve the symptoms of some conditions
3. It can be a spiritual tool
4. It may help dispel negative energy
5. It can cleanse or empower specific objects
6. It may help improve your mood
7. It may help soothe stress
8. It may improve the quality of your sleep
Scientists have observed that sage can clear up to 94 percent of airborne bacteria in a space and disinfect the air. When sage is burned, it releases negative ions, which is linked to putting people into a positive mood. The Latin word for sage salvia stems form the word heal
Salvia officinalis is a perennial, evergreen subshrub, with woody stems, grayish leaves, and blue to purplish flowers. It is a member of the mint family Lamiaceae and native to the Mediterranean region, though it has naturalized in many places throughout the world.